Skip to main content

The Wolf That House Built

Little Axe is a stage name used by guitarist Skip McDonald (itself an alias for the man born Bernard Alexander). It's also the name of one of his collaborations with producer Adrian Sherwood, aided by long-term musical associates Doug Wimbish on bass and Keith LeBlanc on drums, and also in this instance by percussionist Talvin Singh. Whereas Sherwood is best-known for his Jamaican-inspired dub, this record is built on the foundations of McDonald's formative blues influences.

The clever title alludes to Howlin' Wolf, whose voice is sampled on some of its tracks. While there's virtually nothing of house music per se in its musical ingredients, it does involve programming & sampling used in ways which arguably owe something to it. The feel of the album is generally dark & weighty, with its mesmerising grooves the main attraction. McDonald's bluesy guitar work blends with as tight a rhythm section as one could wish for, with Singh's tabla a fascinating addition to it. The whole is given extra heft by Sherwood's dubby production. It doubtless would sound even better coming out of very large & powerful speakers.

Highlights for me include 'The Time Has Come', 'Never Turn Back' (a wonderful version of the traditional song 'No More, My Lord'), and the instrumental 'Dayton'. I bought this CD in '97. I have no recollection of what drew me to it - had I read a favourable review, or heard a track or two on the radio? Or might I have merely been amused enough my the title alone to pick it up unheard? It wasn't my usual cup of tea at the time but I fell for it after a few listens and still enjoy revisting it a quarter of a century later.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All Wrapped Up

Here's another of the compilation cassettes I bought this summer, having taken home a Denon twin-deck hi-fi cassette player from the local charity shop. All Wrapped Up is a 1983 compilation of singles by The Undertones, with Side One filled with A-sides, and B-sides on Side Two. A cassette must be the least desirable medium for such an arrangement, with a long rewind required if one just wants to hear the hits repeatedly. The Undertones were unapologetically provincial and anti-fashionable, with their songs sharply-written slices of life that pointedly avoided any mention of politics, or of the then-continuing violence in their native Derry. My favourite tracks are the obvious choices: 'Teenage Kicks', 'Jimmy Jimmy', 'Here Comes the Summer', 'My Perfect Cousin' & 'Wednesday Week'. Their later singles showed increased sophistication but lack the some of the straightforward charm of their earlier work. The B-sides, not unexpectedly, are mo

In Heat

Having acquired the soubriquet "the walrus of love", Barry White thereafter became something of a figure of fun, something that misled me (and presumably others) into disregarding his music. Only within the last few years have I begun to pay it more attention. After picking up a copy of his '74 album Can't Get Enough last summer, which I loved, I sought out some of the music by his protegés Love Unlimited. From a Discogs seller I ordered well-used copies of Under the Influence of... ('73) and In Heat ('74) for only £6.25. The only unappealing thing about In Heat is its awful title. The songs and the singing are strong; the arrangements rich & warmly enveloping. As one would expect from White, the thematic focus is firmly fixed on amatory matters. The opening number 'Move Me No Mountain' (the only one on the record not written by White) offers a refreshing rebuttal to the kind of lyrical hyperbole in songs like 'Ain't No Mountain High E

Mingus Ah Um

Mingus Ah Um was the first jazz album I fell in love with, and, for many years, the only one I owned. I found my way to it via a circuitous route. When I was at university, one of my favourite bands was Camper Van Beethoven. Having persuaded a friend of their merits, he bought an LP they had made with avant-garde guitarist Eugene Chadbourne, and then another record that Chadbourne had made with Brian Ritchie and Victor De Lorenzo of Violent Femmes: Corpses Of Foreign War . The latter album included an entertaining version of Mingus's 'Fables of Faubus'. I had meanwhile read some of Lester Bangs' praise of Mingus' music, so, when I picked up a cassette of Mingus Ah Um somewhere in London ca. 1989 and found it contained 'Fables of Faubus', I bought it. As a listener with no previous jazz experience, I was delighted to find it immediately accessible and enjoyable. I didn't have the same instant gratification thereafter with my first tentative forays into